It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:07 am

Using Fences with Rainmeter or Suggesting Alternatives

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
riccochet

Using Fences with Rainmeter or Suggesting Alternatives

Post by riccochet »

Hey everyone,
Apologies if this has been answered before but my searches in the matter seemed to turn up old, and fairly vague articles that didn't really answer my questions.
So i've known about rainmeter for a while, was interested but never really took the time to figure it out since i couldn't really get it to do what i wanted.
One of the biggest things i'm trying to do is just clean up the mess of icons on my desktop, mostly games. I am using the honeycomb launcher icons, and i'm trying to group stuff like my games into a single folder/icon. I figured out how to get it to just launch into a new explorer window, but that doesn't really look how i wanted. I want it more minimalist. So then i found fences, and figured that might be good. I like the way it just puts everything into a transparent window that i can open and close. But that as well, doesn't really look like i want. What i want, is to make it so clicking on one of the launcher icons in rainmeter opens the fence that i made for my games shortcuts. Obviously, this means that i would like the fence to be hidden until i click the rainmeter icon for it. Not sure if this is possible to do with raninmeter and fences? If not, i wonder if there is anything you guys might suggest to do this?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Using Fences with Rainmeter or Suggesting Alternatives

Post by eclectic-tech »

Have you looked at StandAloneStack2?

It can be used in a skin to launch a list of programs in a stacks or grid.

It works on Win10 for me... click to animate.
stackgrid.gif
riccochet

Post by riccochet »

This is pretty much exactly what fences does... but i just don't know if there is a way to associate opening that window with a click on a launcher icon...
riccochet

Post by riccochet »

I also checked out the Gameview 2 skin... its OK. lots of manual editing in there however. Its not the most user friendly solution.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

riccochet wrote:This is pretty much exactly what fences does... but i just don't know if there is a way to associate opening that window with a click on a launcher icon...
"Programs", in my example, is a normal string meter and it shows and hides the window when clicked. It would be easy to replace "Programs" with an icon image meter to achieve what you want.

I don't use Stardock Fences, but you don't really need an external program to do what you want; you could use the FileView plugin to read your folder contents and display it.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

riccochet wrote:but i just don't know if there is a way to associate opening that window with a click on a launcher icon...
Eclectic-tech's suggestion of using the FileView plugin is the way to go in my opinion, but if you really wanted to open a Fence, you could use the WindowMessage plugin to send a mouse click to the Fence window.
Huzz

Post by Huzz »

Wow, 2 years ago one guy thought of the same thing. Seems like we have the same taste in desktop :D . That would be so cool if it was possible. So my questions are: 'Did you do it?' and 'What did it cost?' :P (lame i know...) I would appreciate it very much if you took the time to answer.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Huzz wrote: July 10th, 2019, 12:46 am Wow, 2 years ago one guy thought of the same thing. Seems like we have the same taste in desktop :D . That would be so cool if it was possible. So my questions are: 'Did you do it?' and 'What did it cost?' :P (lame i know...) I would appreciate it very much if you took the time to answer.
It just so happens I am working on an updated version of my Roll-Down/Roll-Up Menu skins. The changes offer stationary windows option and make it easier to setup to display any folder content.

I will post the new FolderView package in "Share Your Creations" in a day or two... :welcome:
Huzz

Post by Huzz »

eclectic-tech wrote: July 10th, 2019, 2:06 am It just so happens I am working on an updated version of my Roll-Down/Roll-Up Menu skins. The changes offer stationary windows option and make it easier to setup to display any folder content.

I will post the new FolderView package in "Share Your Creations" in a day or two... :welcome:
Thank you for your time. I already did something I am satisfied with 'cause I simply could not wait and had some spare time but I will surely check out your new skins and if I find it more practical or just prettier I will use that instead of course.

I must say that your skin looks awesome even now but I don't know if I can modify it to make it do what I want. (I am fairly new at this)
This is what I managed to do and I find it very nice even though it is far from perfect.
It stays like this until I mouse over it.
https://ibb.co/Nr9XrnR
When I put my mouse over the sign it looks like this.
https://ibb.co/7XN9RDs
But then also when I mouse over an icon it changes the background picture.
https://ibb.co/nc3mhzb
I am unsure how the images are working so I put the links instead.
Thanks again!
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Huzz wrote: July 11th, 2019, 9:00 pm Thank you for your time. I already did something I am satisfied with 'cause I simply could not wait and had some spare time but I will surely check out your new skins and if I find it more practical or just prettier I will use that instead of course.

I must say that your skin looks awesome even now but I don't know if I can modify it to make it do what I want. (I am fairly new at this)
This is what I managed to do and I find it very nice even though it is far from perfect.
It stays like this until I mouse over it.
https://ibb.co/Nr9XrnR
When I put my mouse over the sign it looks like this.
https://ibb.co/7XN9RDs
But then also when I mouse over an icon it changes the background picture.
https://ibb.co/nc3mhzb
I am unsure how the images are working so I put the links instead.
Thanks again!
No problem. Your version is more customized and looks good!
My Folderview skins are less graphical and will work on any folder content.
Feel free to use any portion if it helps in getting your desired results. :welcome: