It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:10 pm

[SOLVED] When Rainmeter is running, everything slows down.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
superluig164

[SOLVED] When Rainmeter is running, everything slows down.

Post by superluig164 »

Solution:
I got the update to the Fall Creator's Update (1709) as I was on 1703 before. It all works now. Not sure why, but if you're on 1703 and see this issue, consider updating.

Most notably UWP applications, the Start Menu, and the Windows Task Manager. Most .exe format programs don't suffer nearly as much, in fact some of them even hinder Rainmeter's performance, though exiting Rainmeter still improves their performance.

I don't know what's going on, but I have not noticed that this was a problem with Rainmeter until recent. I thought it was Windows's fault, as on other higher-end PC's I notice the same things (without Rainmeter) but it seems to just be a coincidence.

Exiting rainmeter makes everything snappy again, and I have tried unloading skins to see if it'd help. It didn't, though having no skins loaded at all helps a BIT, Rainmeter still needs to be closed to see the full effect.

My laptop specs:
Windows 10x64
Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 2.6GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M
ASUS ROG GL752VW is my model, in case you need more specs.

Rainmeter skins: (only the active ones)
Audioscope 2.1
A modified version of a skin called Dexterity
Six skins in the SMPLCTY suite
Last edited by superluig164 on November 19th, 2017, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Help] When Rainmeter is running, everything slows down.

Post by jsmorley »

I have to say, I have seen similar behavior. The difference for me is subtle, a half-second longer for some dialog to appear and the like. I don't think the issue is with Rainmeter as such, but with the new Fall Creators Update of Windows 10. I'm not sure it if has to do with changes to Windows Defender, or something else. We will poke around and see if we can figure anything out.
superluig164

Post by superluig164 »

jsmorley wrote:I have to say, I have seen similar behavior. The difference for me is subtle, a half-second longer for some dialog to appear and the like. I don't think the issue is with Rainmeter as such, but with the new Fall Creators Update of Windows 10. I'm not sure it if has to do with changes to Windows Defender, or something else. We will poke around and see if we can figure anything out.
For me, it's bad. In the Start menu, for example, the hover-over image (the white border) literally takes a full second or more to catch up with where I moved my mouse/clicked, for example I will wiggle my mouse on the tiles and a full second later the tiles will turn white in the order I moused over them. All animations and such are smooth, but they lag a full second or more after the action. Same for typing in Search.

I also use Wallpaper Engine, and it doesn't cause any such issues. It's only seems to be Rainmeter. What could be conflicting with the Fall Creator's update??
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

superluig164 wrote:For me, it's bad. In the Start menu, for example, the hover-over image (the white border) literally takes a full second or more to catch up with where I moved my mouse/clicked, for example I will wiggle my mouse on the tiles and a full second later the tiles will turn white in the order I moused over them. All animations and such are smooth, but they lag a full second or more after the action. Same for typing in Search.

I also use Wallpaper Engine, and it doesn't cause any such issues. It's only seems to be Rainmeter. What could be conflicting with the Fall Creator's update??
Well then, I don't know. I don't get this behavior.

4.1.0 beta r2947 64-bit (Oct 18 2017)
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (build 16299)
Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\Jeffrey\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\Jeffrey\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
superluig164

Post by superluig164 »

jsmorley wrote:Well then, I don't know. I don't get this behavior.

4.1.0 beta r2947 64-bit (Oct 18 2017)
IniFile: C:\Users\Jeffrey\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\Jeffrey\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
Perhaps I'll try updating, this is my version (probably should have mentioned it)
4.1.0 beta r2793 64-bit (May 10 2017)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit (build 15063)
IniFile: C:\Users\tsmar\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\tsmar\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Not getting any noticeable delay at all

4.0.0 r2746 64-bit (Jan 1 2017)

i5
12GB RAM and a really shitty video card
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

I have not noticed any issues myself but I will keep an eye out.

What skins are you using? Maybe one of them is just being a resource hog. Also have you looked at taskmanager to see if anything is taking up a lot of CPU/Disk usage?
superluig164

Post by superluig164 »

tjhrulz wrote:I have not noticed any issues myself but I will keep an eye out.

What skins are you using? Maybe one of them is just being a resource hog. Also have you looked at taskmanager to see if anything is taking up a lot of CPU/Disk usage?
I mentioned my skins in the OP. I'll update to see if it helps.
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

Whoops, yeah I am waaaay to tired if I missed that. May bad O.O

Edit: Looking at them now I have a hunch that if any of them are causing an issue it would be dexterity followed by audioscope. Try unloading each skin for a bit and see if it makes a difference.
Last edited by tjhrulz on November 5th, 2017, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
superluig164

Post by superluig164 »

tjhrulz wrote:Whoops, yeah I am waaaay to tired if I missed that. May bad O.O
Okay.. I've updated to the latest beta. Still seeing the same issue. I'm going to make a screen recording right now, and attach a link to a new post once I'm finished, so you can see the nature of the problem... Hopefully someone on the dev team will be able to fix it.