It is currently March 29th, 2024, 6:15 am

Beginner- I want to learn how to write this code.

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
mkstichauf

Beginner- I want to learn how to write this code.

Post by mkstichauf »

I am relatively new to Rainmeter. Over the past month or so, I've been able to create my dream desktop with downloading 4-5 different skins. Now, I want to learn how to write the Rainmeter code so I can create my own skins. Can someone direct me to the manual or website that will teach someone like me (a TOTAL first grader in programing-NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER) how to write this code? PLEASE HELP- THANX!
raiguard

Re: Beginner- I want to learn how to write this code.

Post by raiguard »

The closest you can get to a step-by-step guide is the documentation. It explains how skins work then gives you a complete guide to making a few simple skins to get you started.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Another great place to find examples and detailed explanations for most measures, plugins and meters is in Tips & Tricks ~ Featured Guides. :great:

If you need any help with coding, simply post your current code and question in Help: Rainmeter Skins.

Welcome to the forum :welcome:
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

Actually, I would recommend downloading a simple skin and try to make modifications having on another window open the documentation so that you find everything you do there and see what it does exactly. Because just going to read the whole documentation is pretty time consuming and has some stuff in it that you are probably never going to use and if you do, they are there when you need them.

But hey.. that's just my way of learning stuff. If you think something else suits you better, you go and do it :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

kyriakos876 wrote:Actually, I would recommend downloading a simple skin and try to make modifications having on another window open the documentation so that you find everything you do there and see what it does exactly. Because just going to read the whole documentation is pretty time consuming and has some stuff in it that you are probably never going to use and if you do, they are there when you need them.

But hey.. that's just my way of learning stuff. If you think something else suits you better, you go and do it :D
I agree completely. The best way is to download and install a skin, keep it a reasonably simple one, and then wrestle it to the ground to do or look somehow different, as you like. Use the documentation as a "reference", as there is just too much to it to use it as a "tutorial".
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

kyriakos876 wrote:Actually, I would recommend downloading a simple skin and try to make modifications having on another window open the documentation so that you find everything you do there and see what it does exactly. Because just going to read the whole documentation is pretty time consuming and has some stuff in it that you are probably never going to use and if you do, they are there when you need them.

That is what I did, works great and I got lots of help in the forums.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
raiguard

Post by raiguard »

This is how I learned, too. I poked around SilverAzide’s gadgets until I figured out the basics, then used the documentation for the rest.
”We are pretty sure that r2922 resolves the regression in resolution caused by a reversion to a revision.” - jsmorley, 2017
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

jsmorley wrote:Use the documentation as a "reference", as there is just too much to it to use it as a "tutorial".
Or if you have specific question, just ask here, on forum. Usually someone will help you.
mkstichauf

Post by mkstichauf »

CyberTheWorm wrote:That is what I did, works great and I got lots of help in the forums.
You know, that's how I've started. I've downloaded 5 skins and I've, of course, had to change many of the links, names and icons from the originals to the ones I need. But, thanks for the advice!
mkstichauf

Post by mkstichauf »

eclectic-tech wrote:Another great place to find examples and detailed explanations for most measures, plugins and meters is in Tips & Tricks ~ Featured Guides. :great:

If you need any help with coding, simply post your current code and question in Help: Rainmeter Skins.

Welcome to the forum :welcome:
THANX MUCH!!!