It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:57 pm

Rainmeter adversely affecting game fps (despite not showing on the fps counter)

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Wyse

Rainmeter adversely affecting game fps (despite not showing on the fps counter)

Post by Wyse »

Hi,
I've been using Rainmeter for a while, however recently I've noticed it's affecting performance in multiple games in a really weird way. First of all my system is pretty high end so hardware shouldn't be the problem here. I also included most of the skins I use: some of them are custom made, others are modified versions of already existing ones. I run all my rainmeter skins on a multi monitor setup, on my third monitor, so they are always visible; Rainmeter is not using any considerable amount of resources either, here's some stats taken from Process Explorer:
Here's the thing: whenever I have a game open in borderless windowed mode and Rainmeter is running the fps take a considerable hit, however the fps counter shows no change: it's as if the refresh rate of the monitor itself changed (which is obviously not the case). I also tried running less skins and it seems to have little to no effect on the matter, the problem persists even if I only run two skins; I also tried disabling aero (I'm running Windows 7) and my video drivers are updated via a clean install. Let's take Overwatch on my 120 Hz display as an example: the game constantly runs at 130+ fps, but whenever Rainmeter is open if I had to take I guess (as the only way to measure this is my eyes) it drops to about 60-80 fps, and while the fps counter shows no change at all (yes, I even tried third party fps counters), the game is noticeably choppier.
So far I only found two ways to fix this: closing Rainmeter or running the game in fullscreen mode instead of borderless windowed.
Any idea on what could be causing this? I would appreciate any help.

EDIT: Okay, so, I think I found more info on the issue, and it has nothing to do with Rainmeter itself. Apparently it's a Windows/Nvidia drivers problem. A possible fix is plugging your secondary monitor into your mobo instead of the gpu. Check this out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/43ukj8/fps_stutter_when_having_programs_showing_on_my/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.