It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:23 pm

Rainmeter crashing after windows update

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Artico

Rainmeter crashing after windows update

Post by Artico »

Hi, I'm having problems with rainmeter after the last windows 10 update. It was working perfectly befora that, but now it takes several minutes to load any skin and after any interaction with a component of the skin it freezes. The skins that was working previously was AVENGERS S.H.I.E.L.D. 2.1, now I tried with several others and none seems to works except for illustro. I have tried disabling one by one but all other skins fails. I also tried reinstalling and deleting the rainmeter.ini file but when a try to load a different skins it just crashes.
Thanks in advance for any help.
fonpaolo

Re: Rainmeter crashing after windows update

Post by fonpaolo »

All I can think is to try to disable feeds and weather skins of the AVENGERS S.H.I.E.L.D. suite, then start it again.
Usually they're the most problematic if, for some reasons, there is a block or delay of the internet connection.

For a better troubleshooting, better you wait for someone who deeply knows what's happening with Windows 10.
I'm still using Windows 7, the last time I started my Win 10 partition was September of the past year.
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

Hi,

There is a lot of trouble with the big updates of Windows 10. The best solution to avoid these inconveniences is to do a complete reinstallation (with Microsoft's official ISO.). That's what I did and Rainmeter works perfectly :D.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Sorry for the "little divagation" (ok, the rant...), however, as I said in other places, if you're using only a few programs, or only the ones embedded with Windows 10, one can format and install a fresh copy at every "big update", but, using an OS for a job and install everything every few months to have a stable system (...really?), it's absolutely out of discussion. :twisted:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fonpaolo wrote:Sorry for the "little divagation" (ok, the rant...), however, as I said in other places, if you're using only a few programs, or only the ones embedded with Windows 10, one can format and install a fresh copy at every "big update", but, using an OS for a job and install everything every few months to have a stable system (...really?), it's absolutely out of discussion. :twisted:
To continue fonpaolo's divagation, just mention that backuping regularly the hard disk can help you in many situations. These backups are not needed many times, but once they become, you just have to restore one of them and usually everything is fixed. I create one incremental backup weekly.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

balala wrote:To continue fonpaolo's divagation, just mention that backuping regularly the hard disk can help you in many situations. These backups are not needed many times, but once they become, you just have to restore one of them and usually everything is fixed. I create one incremental backup weekly.
Well... years ago, I was used to backup everything, now, with programs installed in 5 disks, it's almost impossible... O.O
Obviously, now, my backups are only of files of documents and so on, settings and other customizations (Rainmeter as first!).
...but then you have to install every program again and again, delete the new folder and copy the old in place, overwrite the Appdata folders, not really a solution.

In my experience, I never formatted a disk and installed an OS more than once for every version, always updated, installed service packs and major updates (do you remember SP1, SP2, SP3 with XP), never had a problem.
Windows 10 is parked until someone who really is conscious of what he's doing will make of it a real reliable OS, finally.
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

Personally, I completely reinstall my system twice by, in order to have a clean system and sometimes for big case updates. I install all my software and then I make a backup of my partition. If I have a problem with my Windows, I restore my backup.

In this case, I prefer to start from scratch, because of many messages read on the Internet, compared to the problems related to Windows updates, especially the last one :o.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

fonpaolo wrote:Obviously, now, my backups are only of files of documents and so on, settings and other customizations (Rainmeter as first!).
...but then you have to install every program again and again, delete the new folder and copy the old in place, overwrite the Appdata folders, not really a solution.
I backup every partition (especially the C: - where the os is installed- and the D: - which keeps my documents, including the Rainmeter skins), then if needed, I restore the needed one. Don't have to install anything, have to do nothing. Simply restore and use it. The only data which can miss, is that saved / installed after creating the last backup. But making those backups weekly, I can lose works of up to a few days.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sephirotess wrote:Personally, I completely reinstall my system twice by, in order to have a clean system and sometimes for big case updates. I install all my software and then I make a backup of my partition. If I have a problem with my Windows, I restore my backup.

In this case, I prefer to start from scratch, because of many messages read on the Internet, compared to the problems related to Windows updates, especially the last one :o.
I personally agree with this. While it's not much fun to re-install everything, you just have to get it down to a process you are familiar with and have a plan and an approach.

For me, my approach is the following:

1) I use Acronis True Image Home to do a nightly (3am while I'm asleep) FULL backup of my C: drive. I'm not a fan of multiple partitions or drives, I just get as big a hard drive as I need so that I can keep everything on C:. The bad old days of tons of wasted space due to cluster sizes in the FAT file system are long gone, and in my view, there is just no advantage to having a ton of drives. Obviously if you use a smaller SSD drive for the "system" and a second large HHD drive for your "data", that's fine. Do images of both.

I create the image on a second hard drive, so the image backup is physically separate from the active drive. I personally don't do incremental backups. Since it all happens while I'm asleep, I don't care how long it takes. I think mine takes about 40 minutes. Don't care...

What this approach buys me is three things.

First, if things really go sideways, a hard drive crash, a bad virus, or anything else that I consider "fatal", I can simply boot into Acronis and restore the entire disk image. In about 30-40 minutes I'm back, byte for byte exactly as I was at the previous 3am. It's a straightforward cost-benefit analysis isn't it. If I'm confident I can "fix" a problem in 40 minutes or less I do that. If not, just boot from Acronis and go make a sammich....

Second, obviously all my "data" is backed up, and can be individually restored if I simply lose or screw up a file or folder. Again, the most I can EVER lose is what I have done since the previous 3am.

Third, along with my "data", all the "configuration" stuff that is in my personal AppData folder is backed up. This will be important during the clean install process, to save a ton of time and aggravation.

Bad things happen to computers. It's just a fact of life. Anyone who doesn't have a good, reliable backup of their system that is no older than the amount of work they want to have to "re-create" from scratch is a fool. Backup to a second internal or external hard drive, backup to the cloud, whatever works for you. Just backup. If you are OK with losing a week's worth of your effort, backup once a week. I'm not, but that's your choice. Just be aware that sooner or later, you WILL lose everything you did since your last backup. It will happen. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but it will happen.

2) i keep "uninstalled" versions of all 3rd-party software I use in a folder called C:\Software on my drive. It's a bit anal, but anytime I download and install or upgrade any software, I put the latest version of the installer for the software here. It's not critical, but it saves a lot of time when doing the clean install, as I am sure I have what I need, I don't have to go out and get it during the process, and the contents of the folder are a reminder of what I need to install. I just go down the folder and "install, install, install" one after the other.

That's all there is to it. When I do a clean install I simply:

1) Install Windows, removing all partitions on the physical C: drive and letting Windows re-create what it needs.

2) Install Acronis True Image Home.

3) Restore all my "data". This is primarily going to some stuff in C:\Users\Jeffrey like Music and Pictures and such, and of course all of Documents. I DON'T restore anything from AppData at this point. That will come in a bit.

4) Go to my Software folder and start installing my 3rd-party software one after the other. After I install each, I decide if I want or need any "configuration" data from the old install. If I do, I restore them to AppData from the Acronis backup AFTER I install the software.

5) Once all my software is installed, I spend some time doing any tweaking of Windows settings that I like. This doesn't all have to be done in one sitting, but my goal is to petty much be where I am "done" in one effort.

6) Sit back and admire my shiny new, much faster and more trustworthy installation of Windows.

Not for everyone of course, but it works for me. I have NEVER lost one byte of data in probably 20 years, many hardware changes, and tons of upgrades to Windows versions. While I like Windows just fine, and Windows 10 is certainly a good evolution (don't forget that as much or more than any "visible" changes to the interface, which one may or may not love, the improvements under the covers, to reliability and efficiency, are really important. I'm sorry, but DO use the latest version of Windows...) it's a fact that over time Windows will get so full of cruft and left-over crap it no longer needs that it will get bloated and slow. I simply can't defend just in-place upgrading Windows over and over from XP to Win7 to Win8 to Win10. That's a bad way to go.

I'm not going to get into any wars about Windows 10, but I will point out that EVERY person who is screaming about Windows 10 and vowing to make them pry Windows 7 from their cold-dead-hands are the same people who did exactly the same thing when Windows 7 replaced Windows XP. It's like Déjà vu. Sorry, get over it. Newer IS better, and it's simply a matter of getting used to new things. Don't be a Luddite...