It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:15 am

IMPORTANT!!!!! Trojan found in rainmeter

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
davidinlv82

IMPORTANT!!!!! Trojan found in rainmeter

Post by davidinlv82 »

So McAfee shut down my computer this morning to protect my computer from a Trojan that was found within a file.
Attachments
Screenshot (224).png
jsmorley
Developer

Re: IMPORTANT!!!!! Trojan found in rainmeter

Post by jsmorley »

That addon Start.exe was no doubt written in AutoIt, which a lot of AntiVirus apps have issues with. That is because AutoIt has the ability to simulate keystrokes, and is used a lot to create hacks and cheats for games and such.

It's a false positive, and you can exclude it from your AntiVirus.
Agelyk

Post by Agelyk »

thanks for the info boss :thumbup:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

davidinlv82 wrote:So McAfee shut down my computer this morning to protect my computer from a Trojan that was found within a file.
If I'm not wrong, that trojan (Artemis!A6705AFFC9F6) was found not in Rainmeter, but into the Start.exe addon, located into the C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Addons\Tray folder. It's not the same thing! At all...
I don't know what this file is, but probably it's some untrusted addon, installed with some skin.

EDIT: Sorry jsmorley, for the late reply...
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

davidinlv82 wrote:So McAfee shut down my computer this morning to protect my computer from a Trojan that was found within a file.
McAfee is one of the worst Antivirus programs, even the creator says it's the worst. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/john-mcafee-mcafee-antivirus-one-worst-products-planet-1516462
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

CyberTheWorm wrote:McAfee is one of the worst Antivirus programs, even the creator says it's the worst. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/john-mcafee-mcafee-antivirus-one-worst-products-planet-1516462
Of course the creator is certifiably nuts...

Still, while it's irrelevant to this topic and just my personal opinion, I recommend against all the big AntiVirus programs. They are all just bloatware, and not needed.

the "Defender" that comes built-into Windows 10 is fine. It does the job as well as any of those bloated offerings, and is light and reasonably non-annoying. It's only going to get better with some improvements coming next month in the Creators Update.

Let Windows use Defender, and maybe once every couple of months run the free version of MalwareBytes AntiMalware, and you are all set.
davidinlv82

Post by davidinlv82 »

CyberTheWorm wrote:McAfee is one of the worst Antivirus programs, even the creator says it's the worst. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/john-mcafee-mcafee-antivirus-one-worst-products-planet-1516462
This is an old article and he is no longer at the helm of it as Intel has taken over. Either way I thought I would bring it to someones attention.
davidinlv82

Post by davidinlv82 »

jsmorley wrote:Of course the creator is certifiably nuts...

Still, while it's irrelevant to this topic and just my personal opinion, I recommend against all the big AntiVirus programs. They are all just bloatware, and not needed.

the "Defender" that comes built-into Windows 10 is fine. It does the job as well as any of those bloated offerings, and is light and reasonably non-annoying. It's only going to get better with some improvements coming next month in the Creators Update.

Let Windows use Defender, and maybe once every couple of months run the free version of MalwareBytes AntiMalware, and you are all set.
I do not and never will trust windows defender to protect my computer ever again, has let a lot slip through in the past and I have spent many countless hours fixing the mistakes made by having windows defender "secure" my computer.
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

davidinlv82 wrote:I do not and never will trust windows defender to protect my computer ever again, has let a lot slip through in the past and I have spent many countless hours fixing the mistakes made by having windows defender "secure" my computer.
I work in IT and the only way to get rid of all MacFee is to reinstall Windows, it almost like a virus it's self.
davidinlv82

Post by davidinlv82 »

CyberTheWorm wrote:I work in IT and the only way to get rid of all MacFee is to reinstall Windows, it almost like a virus it's self.
Never had a problem with McAfee or uninstalling it if need be, Norton on the other hand is the one to watch out for, they have special programs you have to use to remove that one. I'll stick with my av, false positives are better than none.....