It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:46 pm

Reinstall of rainmeter

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
kevindahl

Reinstall of rainmeter

Post by kevindahl »

So I did a pc reset and reinstalled rainmeter figuring I could just go on forums and redownload the themes I shared,problem Is that I can download other peoples rmskn and they load fine but my own just go Into my layouts section of rainmeter and will not load onto my desktop :o
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Reinstall of rainmeter

Post by jsmorley »

What happens when you load your Layout?
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

While I am not 100% sure about all your skins/layouts...I suspect you actually did not include your skins when you made the rmskin.

For example, when I downloaded your DRAGON_Slayer rmskin, it only contained the default 'illustro' skin. It did contain your actual layout, but not the skin itself. A layout only contains the skin settings, not the actual skin code.

Here are some links to help with making rmskins.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/publishing-skins/
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/manage/#LayoutsTab
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/settings/skin-sections/
https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/advanced-rmskin-options/

Unfortunately, based on the linked rmskin above, it looks like your skins may have been lost. Your only option (assuming you arent using a SDD) is to use some file recovery software and see if it can find them, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

:(

-Brian
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Looks like your SPACE_crafty rmskin is the same way.
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=133879#p133879

Sorry about all your hard work. :-(

-Brian
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

From the looks of things, most of what you are doing is downloading other folks skins, using a wallpaper you like, loading and moving the skins to where you want them and saving a Layout.

That's fine. The point of folks sharing their skins is for people to use them. However, if you want to then share this "compilation" yourself, you need to keep two things in mind:

1) You have to include all the skins you use and want to share in the .rmskin. This means that you MUST move all the skins you want to include into a single common root config folder. A .rmskin can only contain one root config folder. When you do that, you must be careful that other folks' skins still work in this new location in your Rainmeter Skin folders. There can be issues with @Resources, that can bite you if you are not careful.

So you have to get it all set up, create the .rmskin, then TEST it. Make sure when you install it everything is there, and works as expected.

2) You really must give appropriate "credit" to the authors of the skins you are distributing. Just putting them in a .rmskin doesn't make them "yours", and you should include credit, and a link to the original skins, in some comments or description anywhere you post your .rmskin.
kevindahl

Post by kevindahl »

Thing Is .. I checked them all before posting them and they worked fine? now when I download them they won't even do anything at all,just save In layout file.(I haven't gotten the credit part figured out yet to add links of the skin original designers added Into the rmskn yet) just on the post Itself,that Is why I just share on forum and not on deviant art.I am not good at It enough yet to edit anything but color,size,ect. but am working my tail off figuring It all out.They must work for the members who are downloading them or someone would have said something I would think? After all of the 10 or so that I posted they have been downloaded well over 100 times so far? when I try and download one though,the green line In the Installer just zips by real fast and nothing happens except for the saving of the layout that won't load?
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Again, your rmskins do not actually contain anything but the default illustro skins, and your custom layout (that references skins that are not included in your rmskin).

The reason it worked before you reset your PC, is because those skins existed on your system. Once you reset your PC, they were wiped and no longer exist. Because your rmskin only contained the settings, and not the actual skin code, they are lost.

-Brian
kevindahl

Post by kevindahl »

I see.so I need to figure out how to do It so that people downloading the ones I shared aren't waisting there time and not even getting to load them either :thumbdown: