It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:13 pm

Installing RM for other users

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Grawolph

Installing RM for other users

Post by Grawolph »

I'm trying to setup my grandkids computer and I have a couple things in Rainmeter that I want them to be able to access or see but I don't want them to be able to change it. For instance, I don't want them to get to the Rainmeter icon in the tray and I don't want them to load anything new or change the skins that I have installed. If I installed the Portable version I believe I can set it up for myself and have all the users that log in to the same machine have the same setup, but when I remove the icon the only way I've found to get it back is to uninstall the program and all the settings and then reinstall it (unless I've been missing something).

Is there a way to do this within Rainmeter? Or has someone done this before? Any help would be appreciated....

PS. If I missed this in the Forums and it's been covered before, forgive me. I did do several searches and browsed through topics but couldn't find anything. :oops:
Grawolph
(Pronounced like "grey wolf")
Kansas City, Missouri, USA
http://jameshalephotography.com
CyberTheWorm

Re: Installing RM for other users

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Grawolph wrote: I don't want them to get to the Rainmeter icon in the tray
Well this one is easy
Capture.PNG
Just uncheck the box

For not changing the skin, just make the skins folder read only

To get the icon back in the tray goto C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter

Edit the Rainmeter.ini

Code: Select all

TrayIcon=0
0 for hidden, 1 for show. Then restart end Rainmeter using task manager and restart it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Installing RM for other users

Post by jsmorley »

No, I'm sorry, but Rainmeter is just not designed to be locked down. Any advice you get would be at best a "locks are to keep honest people honest" approach, but it will always be trivial to get into Rainmeter and change things. The Rainmeter settings in %APPDATA%\Rainmeter may not be made read-only, or the application won't work, and everything someone needs is right there to change anything they want.

While you can make it more difficult for someone to "accidentally" change things by just clicking around, you can't make it in any way hard if they "mean" to change things.