It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:41 pm

can't remember position on exit?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
dfk

can't remember position on exit?

Post by dfk »

hi, i am using latest stable release and installed default settings on Win10.

Rainmeter can't remember 'stay topmost' setting for a skin. when i exit and relaunch Rainmeter, it goes back to 'Normal' position. i check the .ini and it reverts to 'Normal' on exit. save position is ticked, and ini is not read only.

my ini is in appdata/roaming but the skins are in Documents/Rainmeter too, anyway to keep them in the same place?

thanks.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: can't remember position on exit?

Post by balala »

You mean you have those ini files in two places? Please check first the location of the skins. For this, right click the Rainmeter icon in the notification area, and click Edit settings. Check the (probably) first option of the [Rainmeter] section (SkinPath). What path is set there?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

If you move a skin and restart Rainmeter, does it remember that?

If not, and your Rainmeter was installed normally and is in:

Path: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\
IniFile: C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
SkinPath: C:\Users\YourName\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins\

Simply use About / Version from the Rainmeter context menu to get this information, and use the "Copy to clipboard" button to copy and paste it here.

Then I suspect there is some security issue with your user account in Windows, and Rainmeter can't write to your account folders in %APPDATA%. You might want to try running Rainmeter.exe "As administrator".

If it does remember the position on the screen, then I actually suspect that some skin you are running is setting the "Stay topmost" setting in Rainmeter.ini when it is loaded or refreshed, and that is overriding any change you make.
dfk

Post by dfk »

i installed portable version and it works now, everything in one folder and topmost remembered.

thanks.

yea i think something was messed up since i could not change the installer setting to install for all users/current users on subsequent attempts.