It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:23 pm

Installing skins on old version of rainmeter (is it possible?)

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
Iamdeadlyz

Installing skins on old version of rainmeter (is it possible?)

Post by Iamdeadlyz »

Hello, I installed rainmeter and it needs to be updated but my system can't support the latest so I have the 3.3 something version. I tried installing a skin for the visualizer but it says I need the latest version of rainmeter.

Is there any other way to install the skin without updating?
Last edited by Iamdeadlyz on January 16th, 2017, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sephirotess

Re: Installing skins on old version of rainmeter (is it possible?)

Post by sephirotess »

Hello,

Yes, you can unpack the archive. Rainmeter uses a system close to the "zip", so any decompression soft can do it.You'll just get a little error message after the decompression, but do not pay attention. Simply copy the skin directory to your Rainmeter folder. With an older version you will not be able to benefit from the new features. I do not know if the OPs would advise this method, but personally I did it more than once when I did not want to install a new version of Rainmeter :D.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

If you're using (almost) any version of Windows, you don't need any other program, just rename the ".rmskin" in ".zip" and open it with the standard windows utility for compressed archives. ;-)

You must pay attention on what you want to use, in most cases it's possible to use the skin, but only if they aren't build with the latest additions, like the new "Shape Meter" and the AudioLevel plugin, in this case, it doesn't work with XP.
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

fonpaolo wrote:If you're using (almost) any version of Windows, you don't need any other program, just rename the ".rmskin" in ".zip" and open it with the standard windows utility for compressed archives. ;-)
I never thought of it! Thanks for the information :D.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

You're welcome sephirotess.
This is a little trick I use to give a look at some skins without installing them. ;-)
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

Good idea, I'll adopt it :D.
Iamdeadlyz

Post by Iamdeadlyz »

fonpaolo wrote:If you're using (almost) any version of Windows, you don't need any other program, just rename the ".rmskin" in ".zip" and open it with the standard windows utility for compressed archives. ;-)

You must pay attention on what you want to use, in most cases it's possible to use the skin, but only if they aren't build with the latest additions, like the new "Shape Meter" and the AudioLevel plugin, in this case, it doesn't work with XP.
I see thanks for the help
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

You're welcome.
If you need some further help, ask here, you'll always find someone who can help you.