It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:13 pm

Memory over use and missing plugins?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
sinykk

Memory over use and missing plugins?

Post by sinykk »

Hello rainmeter community!

First off, I'm new to this whole thing so bear with me please.

After I installed Rainmeter, I noticed an unusual spike in memory and cpu usage. I popped up task manager and noticed that 'Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation' was using up 50 to 60% of my resources. I didn't get it. I didn't have any music or videos playing, but I was trying to get some music visualizers working. Out of curiosity, I shut down Rainmeter and 'Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation' stopped any usage at all.

i'm pretty confident this is linked to Rainmeter. To test this out, I uninstalled Rainmeter using Revo uninstaller 3 different times and reinstalled it and was able to reproduce the same results. Does this mean I can't use any of Rainmeter's Visualizers?

Secondly, I noticed that some of the plugins listed in the 4.0 manual, such as 'Nowplaying' don't get installed with 4.0. There are a few other plugins as well that I didn't take note of. I installed 3.3 just to check if all the plugins were there and they were. Updated to 4.0 and they were gone. Is that supposed to happen?

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!
fonpaolo

Re: Memory over use and missing plugins?

Post by fonpaolo »

First of all, please post a link to the skin you're using, that's not Rainmeter fault but probably there's something in the skin.

Second, if you open with right click on a skin the Manage window, then click on Rainmeter log and then Plugin, you'll find all the installed plugins.
They're not external, but internal at the program.
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

sinykk wrote: After I installed Rainmeter, I noticed an unusual spike in memory and cpu usage. I popped up task manager and noticed that 'Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation' was using up 50 to 60% of my resources. I didn't get it. I didn't have any music or videos playing, but I was trying to get some music visualizers working. Out of curiosity, I shut down Rainmeter and 'Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation' stopped any usage at all.
The use of resources does not come from Rainmeter, but rather from the choice of the designer of the skin, to use a very low update and therefore very greedy CPU resources. The viewer has probably graphic effects or a spectrum.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

Without knowing what skin he's using, sephirotess, we can only make assumptions, maybe an external plugin or reference is missing, some setup are wrong, who knows...
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

fonpaolo wrote:Without knowing what skin he's using, sephirotess, we can only make assumptions, maybe an external plugin or reference is missing, some setup are wrong, who knows...
Yes, you're right, maybe I'm too far ahead. Nevertheless, I doubt to be far from the truth. I will keep quiet for a while and let the adults solve the problems :D.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

sinykk wrote:Secondly, I noticed that some of the plugins listed in the 4.0 manual, such as 'Nowplaying' don't get installed with 4.0. There are a few other plugins as well that I didn't take note of. I installed 3.3 just to check if all the plugins were there and they were. Updated to 4.0 and they were gone. Is that supposed to happen?
In the newer versions of Rainmeter, NowPlaying and WebParser aren't installed anymore as plugins, they became measures. The appropriate dll files are missing. Probably for compatibility purposes, the old form of the plugin measures:

Code: Select all

Measure=Plugin
Plugin=NowPlaying
are still working, but as same well will work if you replace these options with the simpler Measure=NowPlaying.
This is the explanation why the WebParser and NowPlaying plugins are missing. Although they are missing, the appropriate plugin measures are still working.
I suppose after a while all plugins will be replaced by measures. At least I think so...
sinykk

Post by sinykk »

I was trying out visbubble and monstercat skins. Neither of them ended up working for me anyway because I pretty much only use spotify and there seems to be some issue, even with the new monstercat update.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

sephirotess wrote:Yes, you're right, maybe I'm too far ahead. Nevertheless, I doubt to be far from the truth. I will keep quiet for a while and let the adults solve the problems :D.
I agree with you that the skin design in many cases is the culprit of the problem, It's very difficult to find a balance between responsiveness and low performance impact, I usually I test my skins at least on a low end computer.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

sinykk wrote:I was trying out visbubble and monstercat skins. Neither of them ended up working for me anyway because I pretty much only use spotify and there seems to be some issue, even with the new monstercat update.
If you're playing with spotify, then, it's another matter, the problem resides there, not in Rainmeter.
sinykk

Post by sinykk »

fonpaolo wrote:If you're playing with spotify, then, it's another matter, the problem resides there, not in Rainmeter.
Agreed that the issue wasn't with rainmeter itself. After playing around, as was suggested, it was visbubbles that was causing the issue. No visualizer for me.

Thanks for all the insight!