It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:04 pm

Rainmeter and optical drive

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
mak_kawa

Rainmeter and optical drive

Post by mak_kawa »

When I insert an optical disk to my BD/DVD/CD drive, Rainmeter wholly pauses and is non-responsive with all active skins until the drive gets ready-state, for about 20-30 seconds. Other application but Rainmeter doesn't show such "mini-freeze". Is this common to other Rainmeter users?

A bit annoying for me. Is there a possibility to avoid this?

Software/OS environment:
4.0.0 beta r2637 64-bit (Oct 3 2016)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit (build 14393)
and also...
3.2.2 r2609 64-bit (May 16 2016)
Windows Vista SP2 64-bit (build ?)
fonpaolo

Re: Rainmeter and optical drive

Post by fonpaolo »

Unfortunately it's common, Rainmeter has to wait until the optical drive has read the disc.
There are some ways to avoid this, but in most cases use an external program only to avoid a freeze of some seconds...

The length of the wait is proportional to the disk size, obviously reading a CD is faster than a DVD or Blu ray.
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi fonpaolo

It is a sad but relieving information for me, because the behavior is not a result of my system's flaw. I am not the only one. :-p

Wish Rainmeter would avoid this behavior...
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

To avoid that, I have my skin with optical drives disabled as default and I specify in my setup skin this "problem" to warn the user.

Until now I haven't found any workaround to avoid that and, as I said before, I don't want to use an external program only to avoid a few seconds freeze.

The problem is not related to Rainmeter, it has to wait until the disk is read, even the computer has a little freeze when you insert an optical disk...
mak_kawa

Post by mak_kawa »

Hi Fonpaolo
The problem is not related to Rainmeter
Okay...I will live with Rainmeter along with optical drive. :-)