It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:28 am

Rainmeter Installation

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
sl23

Rainmeter Installation

Post by sl23 »

I've been trying to make an SPS file for Rainmeter for use with SyMenu, but am unable to figure out the Installation Arguments section of the SPS file necessary for the installation to work.

Here's what I need to know:
1. Can I perform a silent installation?
If yes, then:
2. How to select Portable Installation? What is required to make RM Portable? Is it simply the existence of the file named Rainmeter.ini? Maybe the .cfg file too?
3.How to select 64bit Installation?

I don't know much about Command Line or Arguments, but I've been told they are dependant on the developer as to whether they are included in the app. If these options aren't yet possible could you consider this a feature request please. That's if you have no objection to Rainmeter being added to SyMenu in this way :thumbup:
Last edited by sl23 on August 24th, 2015, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter Installation

Post by jsmorley »

sl23

Post by sl23 »

WOW! Don't know how I missed that! :confused: Thanks for the quick reply ;-)
sl23

Post by sl23 »

You know what? I was expecting to have trouble with this... You are one of those developers that are just too goddamn good! RM is one of those apps where everything just seems to work, if it don't it's normally user error, a rarity! Thank you :great:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

As to SyMenu or Chocolatey or other app installers like that, I'm fine with the "release" version of Rainmeter, currently 3.2.1 r2386, begin added to these kinds of things. I would hate, and will strongly resist, any attempt to add the "beta" versions of Rainmeter to these tools. There is no way they will stay "current" with the latest beta releases, and an out-of-date beta is a very bad thing. We want folks using the beta versions to stay current, and get the latest from http://rainmeter.net and nowhere else.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Ah, ok, it was the beta I was planning to add. Simply because I always have used this version and have never once in 5 years had a problem with it.

Would you be ok if both the current and beta were available? Bear in mind these are planned on being kept up to date. I could also put an extra Note on the beta as a warning if you like? If not I'll change it and just use the current 'stable' release.

Oh, and the download will always be direct from the rainmeter site never anywhere else.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sl23 wrote:Ah, ok, it was the beta I was planning to add. Simply because I always have used this version and have never once in 5 years had a problem with it.

Would you be ok if both the current and beta were available? Bear in mind these are planned on being kept up to date. I could also put an extra Note on the beta as a warning if you like? If not I'll change it and just use the current 'stable' release.

Oh, and the download will always be direct from the rainmeter site never anywhere else.
Nobody maintaining these packages can possibly stay really current with the beta versions, and it can be very important that folks get bug fixes and other corrections as soon as possible. I'd prefer the beta not be added to tools like that.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Ok, I don't really understand, but I'll change it. I mean personally someone using apps like SyMenu and RM should know how to manually install/update should troubles arise, but if you are against it, I will respect your wishes. I just thought that there are many who keep up to date with beta's and would appreciate the convenience this would bring in maintaining updates.

One thing though, it's planned that SyMenu apps use SPS files for getting information and updating all it's apps. Though they aren't actually SyMenu's apps in the way that PortableApps.com or LiberKey have their own apps, instead SyMenu uses any app and the SPS file is created for that version of an app. These SPS files are planned to be kept current by more than just the developer, eventually, they'll be passed to PortableFreeware, meaning many users will be able to update SyMenu's SPS files to make it easier to keep the vast catalogue of apps up to date. The plan is to cover all, or as many as possible, apps from portablefreeware.com

Thanks for your time

Scott
sl23

Post by sl23 »

Hi, I've been using this code with SyMenu to silently install Rainmeter v3.x but now that v4.0 is out I tried the same SyMenu update file with it but it no longer works. This is the instruction in the file:

/S /PORTABLE=1 /VERSION=64 /D={0}

Is the order important? How do I select Language? I imagine that's the problem?

I've checked here but there's no command line switches. Has this function been removed?

Thanks for your help
exper1mental

Post by exper1mental »

sl23 wrote:Hi, I've been using this code with SyMenu to silently install Rainmeter v3.x but now that v4.0 is out I tried the same SyMenu update file with it but it no longer works. This is the instruction in the file:

/S /PORTABLE=1 /VERSION=64 /D={0}

Is the order important? How do I select Language? I imagine that's the problem?

I've checked here but there's no command line switches. Has this function been removed?

Thanks for your help
If order is the problem then this should work:
/S /D={0} /VERSION=64 /PORTABLE=1

There is no documentation in the beta manual about silent installation so it might not even be possible to do a silent install with Rainmeter 4.0 beta...