It is currently April 20th, 2024, 12:00 am

Update rates

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
ms310

Re: Update rates

Post by ms310 »

jsmorley wrote: June 30th, 2020, 2:46 am I don't have all the stuff for your skin(s) but here is my advice:

Don't try to control WebParser measures with UpdateDivider at all.

Set Update=1000 in [Rainmeter]. Just pretty much ALWAYS set that. It should only be set lower than 1000 if you have a skin with animations or something that need a faster rate. It should almost NEVER be set higher than 1000.

That means the skin will be updated once a second, and that is good. It means that any UpdateDivider that you use on any measure EXCEPT WebParser measures, and the UpdateRate you use on WebParser measures, will equate to "seconds".

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[TimeMeasure]
Measure=Time
UpdateDivider=10
; This will update the time every 10 seconds.

[WebParserMeasure]
Measure=WebParser
UpdateRate=30
; This will cause WebParser to go out and do its work every 30 seconds.
; Note that the measure [WebParserMeasure] will be "updated" once a second, but that's good, that's what makes the UpdateRate work right.
Thank you - and I must apologize as you must have explained this 100000 times and some of us are still lost :uhuh: my apologies for that - it is not my intent to annoy you all, honestly!

I have included the skin in a previous post. It is a bit of a mess - it is a work in progress - could you take a look and see if everything is OK?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You are not annoying me in the least.

Sorry, but I'm just not going to wade through that skin. I hope my advice, at a somewhat high level, helps some.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

The key to understanding the relationship between Update, UpdateDivider and UpdateRate with WebParser is this:

Updating a WebParser measure does one thing, and one thing only. It "increments" by 1, a counter that is tracking UpdateRate. When the measure has updated UpdateRate times the counter will equal UpdateRate, and will reset to zero and fire off the functionality.

But I can't stress enough, NEVER use UpdateDivider on a WebParser measure. Just set UpdateRate to whatever it takes in combination with the skin Update to cause it to go out and do its work as often as you need.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

This might help some if you haven't seen it:

https://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/webparser-updaterate/
ms310

Post by ms310 »

jsmorley wrote: June 30th, 2020, 3:00 am The key to understanding the relationship between Update, UpdateDivider and UpdateRate with WebParser is this:

Updating a WebParser measure does one thing, and one thing only. It "increments" by 1, a counter that is tracking UpdateRate. When the measure has updated UpdateRate times the counter will equal UpdateRate, and will reset to zero and fire off the functionality.

But I can't stress enough, NEVER use UpdateDivider on a WebParser measure. Just set UpdateRate to whatever it takes in combination with the skin Update to cause it to go out and do its work as often as you need.
Thanks - I think I got it now. Thank you very much - I will see how it goes!
ms310

Post by ms310 »

Just a note for folks - my main problem was using DefaultUpdateDivider and not really understanding the implications.

I’ve now removed it and I am specifically defining UpdateRate for WebParser Measures and for things like Chameleon I am setting an UpdateDivider specifically to limit the frequency it updates. I’ve chosen 5 minutes just as an arbitrary starting point as I don’t often change my background but I want the skin to adjust relatively quickly when I do decide to change my background.

Thanks everyone for the help - I am back to creating a weather and time zone skin with custom made icons. If I can ever finish the icons - I’ve changed them 10 times already.
ms310

Post by ms310 »

Getting there thanks to this great community!
2020-07-03_09h58_53.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.