It is currently April 20th, 2024, 5:00 am

Rainmeter and the Internet

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
MourningStar

Rainmeter and the Internet

Post by MourningStar »

Please forgive my lack of rainmeter knowledge. I just noticed that all of my desktop items (clock, calendar, etc.) disappear if I turn off my internet. Is this intentional or is there a setting in the manager I am not aware of that will permit these to continue running?

-thx.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Rainmeter and the Internet

Post by balala »

MourningStar wrote: January 16th, 2020, 7:42 pm Please forgive my lack of rainmeter knowledge.
No problem. The reason of this forum is exactly to help people with such lacks. So, don't worry...
MourningStar wrote: January 16th, 2020, 7:42 pm I just noticed that all of my desktop items (clock, calendar, etc.) disappear if I turn off my internet.
What? Rainmeter skins are disappearing if you turn off the internet? Hu, would be EXTREMELY weird.
What skins are you using?
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

LuaCalendar
RadarClock2
IllustroClock

and all

Gadgets\CPU Meter, etc ...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

MourningStar wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm LuaCalendar
RadarClock2
IllustroClock

and all

Although I'm not using all these skins, I doubt any of them would be hidden when internet connection is closed. Maybe try to unload all skins except one (for instance illustro Clock) and try closing internet. Is it hidden / unloaded?
To be honest personally have no idea what such an issue should be caused by. Do anyone have an idea?
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

MourningStar wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:10 pm LuaCalendar
RadarClock2
IllustroClock

and all

LuaCalendar has no internet connection. None of the Gadgets are affected by a lack of an internet connection. You might want to check one of the other skins, per balala's suggestion. Unload it and turn off your network connection and see if the problem goes away. (Warning: all weather skins that depend on weather.com no longer function, so ensure you are not using one of these, including the Gadget's Weather Meter.)
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
MourningStar

Post by MourningStar »

When 'weird' things happen the first thing I do is re-start my machine and 99% of the time the problem does not return. As I had not had any issues in quite awhile I had forgotten to do this prior to posting this. Issue resolved.

My apologies,
:oops:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

MourningStar wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:08 pm When 'weird' things happen the first thing I do is re-start my machine and 99% of the time the problem does not return. As I had not had any issues in quite awhile I had forgotten to do this prior to posting this. Issue resolved.
Ok, what has happened in my opinion is that when the skins have "disappeared" in fact Rainmeter closed suddenly. It can happen sometimes, especially if there is a skin which uses internet connection and the connection interrupts suddenly exactly when the parent WebParser measure updates. If the connection interrupts any other time, the Rainmeter freezing doesn't happen and everything is alright. And such a coincidence is quite rare, so probably you won't experiment once again such a problem.
quasianonimo

Post by quasianonimo »

I have the same problem, when I start my computer without internet connection the Rainmeter skin will not loaded.
Also if I try to manually start the rainmeter program it is not working.
I try the beta version and the final version but the situatio it is the same.
When I turn on the internet connection the skin appears on the desktop.
I am using Amnio, Cleartext, Lano-visualizer and TranslucentTaskbar.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

quasianonimo wrote: July 10th, 2020, 6:03 am when I start my computer without internet connection the Rainmeter skin will not loaded.
Also if I try to manually start the rainmeter program it is not working.
To be honest, I'm extremely surprised, because if there is no internet connection, most skins should still appear, at most those using internet connection (WebParser measure in most cases) should not show up the information, but definitely should appear. Please pack any of those configs (for instance Amnio) and upload the package, to can check.
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

I have a skin that monitors my local and internet connections. So I see IP address and up or down depending on the state.
If I disable my LAN card it still works, shows a 169.x.x.x address and says LAN and WAN down.
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page