It is currently April 16th, 2024, 8:45 am

Installing Rainmeter

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Installing Rainmeter

Post by jsmorley »

helpfixmycomp wrote: October 18th, 2018, 12:21 am So I downloaded 4.3 Beta, then definitely selected Standard Installation, clicked next, and it said Destination Folder: C:\Users\Jordan which I was not able to change in any way, and I check marked Launch Rainmeter on startup, clicked Install with the orange and blue shield thing next to it, then it asked me if it could make changes to my computer so I clicked Yes, and then the green bar went 2/3 of the way before it stopped and all the numbers went way up, so I ended the task with task manager.
There is something very peculiar about your system, as the standard installation should install to whatever is defined as you "Program Files" folder, which is normally C:\Program Files.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Very weird behavior, but I'd have a few questions:
  • Where have you downloaded the installer from? Are you absolutely positive you have it from https://www.rainmeter.net/? Because normally something like this shouldn't have to go on (see eclectic-tech's recommendation above: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=29689#p153641).
  • Have you performed a virus and a malware scan? I'd be tempted to think there is some virus involved (again take a look at eclectic-tech's reply, he did recommend you this).
  • Have you also tried installing something else, than Rainmeter? If you haven't, try to install any software (any free software would be good), just to see if it installs correctly (simply googling the web you can find tons of such free sofware). Does it installs and then works?
helpfixmycomp

Post by helpfixmycomp »

Ok I will run a windows defender full scan and then try downloading other software and then Rainmeter 4.3 from the official website.
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

My brother had an issue similar to yours, but with every program. Turned out it was some program he downloaded on a failed attempt to get free vbucks for fortnite.....
The antivirus didn't pick it up because it wasn't a virus exactly but rather a stupid program messing things up.
My advice, go to control panel then go to uninstall programs and uninstall any programs that you don't know. (If you don't know a program there but the publisher's name is known, for example Microsoft, then you don't have to delete it.)
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

helpfixmycomp wrote: October 19th, 2018, 1:43 am then Rainmeter 4.3 from the official website.
Rainmeter ALWAYS should have to be downloaded ONLY from https://www.rainmeter.net/. Where have you got it from?
helpfixmycomp

Post by helpfixmycomp »

I have for sure downloaded Rainmeter from the official website every time. I ran a scan and it came up with nothing, which I guess is good. I'll look through my programs and see if there is anything that looks like it doesn't belong.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

helpfixmycomp wrote: October 20th, 2018, 12:40 am I have for sure downloaded Rainmeter from the official website every time. I ran a scan and it came up with nothing, which I guess is good. I'll look through my programs and see if there is anything that looks like it doesn't belong.
As mentioned by JSMorley, there is something strange about your PC and where it wants to install programs by default...

Have you tried to do a PORTABLE install? This should let you decide where the program is installed and avoid any strange quirks on your PC.

I would suggest installing the portable version in "C:\MyRainmeter" and see if you can get the initial installation and skin
working. :x
helpfixmycomp

Post by helpfixmycomp »

So I installed the portable version which worked just fine, and I got the default skins along with it. What difference will having the portable version make in the future? Does this mean everything is working now and it is solved??? :o
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

helpfixmycomp wrote: October 20th, 2018, 5:28 pm So I installed the portable version which worked just fine, and I got the default skins along with it. What difference will having the portable version make in the future? Does this mean everything is working now and it is solved??? :o
Rainmeter will work just fine a "portable", the only difference is that all skins and plugins and settings, everything related to Rainmeter, will reside in that folder you installed it in.

I wouldn't call everything "solved" however, you have some kind of issue with your system being confused about where "Program Files" is, that you really should resolve. That's not a Rainmeter issue, but a Windows issue of some kind.
helpfixmycomp

Post by helpfixmycomp »

I'm trying to install a skin called Fountain of Colors but I says "How do you want to open this file?" I dont have any apps to choose from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by helpfixmycomp on October 22nd, 2018, 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.