It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:41 am

Copying Rainmeter Settings/Config Files From Old Computer to New Computer

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
brentnhunter

Copying Rainmeter Settings/Config Files From Old Computer to New Computer

Post by brentnhunter »

It took me a non-trivial amount of time to get Rainmeter set up on my primary computer and now I want to copy all of the settings from my old computer to a new computer. What files need to be copied? I assume settings/config files but I'm not sure where to find them.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Copying Rainmeter Settings/Config Files From Old Computer to New Computer

Post by balala »

brentnhunter wrote:It took me a non-trivial amount of time to get Rainmeter set up on my primary computer and now I want to copy all of the settings from my old computer to a new computer. What files need to be copied? I assume settings/config files but I'm not sure where to find them.
Most important would be the Skins folder. It is located into the Documents folder. For details read this: https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/skins/#FilesFolders
Another thing which can be copied is the Rainmeter.ini file. I'm not sure this is a good idea (especially for a beginner user), but finally I think it can be ported. Its location is c:\Users\{YourName}\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini (be careful, AppData is a hidden folder). Or a simpler way would be to open it (right click the Rainmeter icon in the notification area, then click Edit Settings), save it a proper location, then take it to the new computer and replace there the existing Rainmeter.ini. When it's copied, update the SkinPath variable in the [Rainmeter] section, to have the the proper path of the Skins folder, on the new computer. This is a very important step, which shouldn't have to be forget, otherwise the skins won't be loaded. Finally refresh all, or even better, close Rainmeter and open it again.
Or instead of copying Rainmeter.ini, you can load one by one all skins which was loaded on the old computer. Probably this is a much safer solution.