It is currently April 26th, 2024, 2:29 pm

Process affinity

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
MilesSss

Process affinity

Post by MilesSss »

Hello~!

I have a small problem with Rainmeter CPU affinity, and affinity of process started through Rainmeter.

I have 8 core AMD FX-8320 CPU, but for Rainmeter im using only one core - Core nr 2. No need for Rainmeter to use more units. But the problem lays further. If I start an *.exe from Rainmeter (Let's say I have a shortcut to League of Legends in Rainmeter) the newly opened process inherits CPU affinity. Started LOL launcher has affinity setted to Core nr 2 only. But, I want LOL to use all core expect Core nr 2...

I've tried to use *.bat file with " start /affinity FB *.exe" command, but it didn't help.

And here is the question: Is there any way to force Rainmeter to start *.exe with other CPU affinity then Rainmeter itself?
Brian
Developer

Re: Process affinity

Post by Brian »

MilesSss wrote:Is there any way to force Rainmeter to start *.exe with other CPU affinity then Rainmeter itself?
I am not aware of any way that will start another process using a specific core. Maybe there is some 3rd party software out there that can do it (like Nircmd maybe), but I highly doubt it.

If I was you, I wouldn't worry about containing Rainmeter to 1 core. 99% of Rainmeter (except some threaded plugins) will be run on 1 core anyway, so I wouldn't worry about restricting it further.

-Brian
MilesSss

Re: Process affinity

Post by MilesSss »

I will check Nircmd :)

Normally i wouldn't even think about it, but sometimes i need to aff 4 or 6 cores to rendering, while the rest i can freely use for games in meantime :)

Also, some games just hate more than 1-2 cores (Ace Online).

What surprised me is fact that executing *.bat file with affinity command do nothing. Executing such file should put new command in motion.

Anyway, thanks for information & Nircmd. Gonna check!